NICE CG189 Obesity: identification, assessment and management
Updated in July 2023, this guideline focuses on identifying, assessing and managing obesity in children, young people and adults
This NICE clinical guideline on identifying, assessing and managing obesity in children (aged 2 years and over), young people and adults was updated in July 2023. As part of the update, evidence on bariatric surgery for people who are overweight or living with obesity was reviewed and recommendations on surgical interventions updated.
The guideline makes 11 recommendations:
- Generic principles of care
- Identifying and assessing overweight, obesity and central adiposity
- Lifestyle interventions
- Behavioural interventions
- Physical activity
- Dietary approaches
- Pharmacological interventions
- Continued prescribing and withdrawal
- Surgical interventions
- Follow-up care
For more information, please see the NICE website.