Purpose of the role:
We are looking for an experienced Pharmacy Technician to lead our dispensing service. The position of Head of Dispensary Services (Pharmacy Tech) is a key role, responsible for directing and managing the pharmacy operations from the Ashtons registered pharmacy based in Brighton. The post holder will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the Dispensary and will report directly to the Pharmacy Operations Director. They will work closely with the Clinical Pharmacists and the Dispensary Team to support the delivery of a high quality and cost-effective service, in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
The post holder will provide strong leadership to the pharmacy dispensary team, promoting a positive work environment and fostering teamwork. They will be responsible for organisation of workload, supervision, and management of the team of pharmacy dispensers and technicians in the dispensary. This will include supporting the dispensary team in meeting the operational KPIs. They will be required to oversee the dispensary, identifying opportunities to drive engagement and continuous improvement to improve efficiency.
- Be responsible for the strategic direction of the dispensing services and for delivery of a dispensing service that meets the service needs.
- Be responsible for ensuring that systems are in place to control the dispensing and distribution of medicines safely, effectively, efficiently and in compliance with all relevant legislation, the Standard Operating procedures, and other relevant policies.
- Be responsible for stock control of medicines in the dispensary ensuring that systems are in place, to ensure storage and distribution of medicines safely, effectively, efficiently and in compliance with all relevant legislation, Standard Operating procedures, other relevant policies, and standards of corporate governance.
- Lead, develop, deliver, and evaluate the dispensing service provided by Ashtons to other organisations under SLAs.
- Ensure the pharmacy department is adequately staffed by overseeing rotas and workload allocation, leading on recruitment, reviewing work patterns and forward planning services for staff within the teams. Manage service provision at weekends and bank holidays for dispensary staff, where appropriate.
- Be responsible for the performance and personal development of dispensary staff by way of check ins, appraisals, service improvement objectives and personal development plans.
- Lead on ensuring all HR policies and procedures are adhered to for all dispensary staff including absence management, sickness, and disciplinary policy.
- Be responsible for ensuring robust business continuity plans are in place for the pharmacy dispensing service.
- Lead on ensuring the GPHC pharmacy standards are met within the dispensary which will meet the inspection criteria.
- Provide strong leadership to the pharmacy dispensary team, promoting a positive work environment and fostering teamwork.
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate pharmacy technicians, ensuring adequate staffing levels and performance standards are met.
- Foster professional development and provide guidance to staff members, facilitating their growth and maximizing their potential.
- Oversee all aspects of medication dispensing, ensuring accuracy, safety, and efficiency.
- Develop, review, and implement standard operating procedures (SOPs) for the dispensary, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Maintain appropriate inventory levels, monitor medication usage, and work with the procurement team to ensure timely procurement of pharmaceutical supplies.
- Manage the owing’s within the dispensary to ensure they are processed in a timely manner and communicated to customers.
- Implement quality control measures to minimize errors and maintain the highest standards of patient safety.
- Stay up to date with relevant pharmacy regulations, guidelines, and best practices, and ensure adherence to them.
- Maintain accurate records of controlled substances and ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Collaborate with regulatory bodies during inspections and audits, implementing corrective actions as necessary.
Collaboration and Communication:
- Foster effective communication and collaboration with other stakeholders.
- Participate in interdisciplinary meetings and committees to contribute pharmacy expertise and ensure optimal customer care.
- Act as a liaison between the dispensary department and other departments within the organization, promoting effective communication and collaboration.
Quality Assurance and Continuous Improvement:
- Monitor and evaluate dispensary processes, identifying areas for improvement and implementing appropriate measures.
- Conduct regular performance assessments and audits to ensure compliance with quality standards.
- Implement strategies to optimize workflow, reduce waste, and enhance the overall efficiency of the dispensary operations.
- Review all dispensing errors and near miss records to ensure we are continuously learning from these and putting preventative actions in place
- Any other reasonable duties which may be required by management.
- Registered Pharmacy Technician with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC).
- Strong knowledge of pharmacy operations, regulations, and best practices.
- Excellent leadership and team management skills.
- Proficient in using pharmacy management systems and related software.
- Management training course or equivalent experiential learning together with proven record in management of service, staffing and resources.
- Experience of service and business planning activities and the ability to manage change effectively.
- Demonstrate an ability to write and implement standard operating procedures.
- Ability to write reports.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Organised and able to prioritise own work and that of other team members to ensure that objectives are met within agreed deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proven experience as a Pharmacy Dispensary Manager or in a similar leadership role within a hospital or healthcare setting.
- Chief Pharmacist
- Principal Pharmacist
- People Team
Ashtons are offering a £500 welcome bonus to all successful new hires who apply direct to the Company (subject to terms and conditions).
"*" indicates required fields