Updated NICE guideline NG158 – ‘Venous thromboembolic diseases: diagnosis, management and thrombophilia testing’
New recommendations following a review of evidence for people with COVID-19.
This new update to NICE guideline NG158 brings new recommendations following a review of evidence for people with COVID-19. This has led to updates on the use of Wells score and D-dimer in the diagnostic pathways for pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis.
The recommendations covered by this guideline include:
- diagnosing and managing suspected DVT and PE
- outpatient management of low-risk PE
- anticoagulation treatment for suspected or confirmed DVT or PE
- long-term anticoagulation for secondary prevention
- information and support for people having anticoagulation treatment
- thrombolytic therapy, inferior vena caval filters, investigations for cancer and thrombophilia testing
Full details of this NICE guideline, including further information on the update can be found here: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng158